Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1072490

Date first listed: 01-Mar-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Jan-1987



Ordnance survey map of CLOSE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072490 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jan-2019 at 23:58:47.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Chorley (District Authority)

Parish: Withnell

National Grid Reference: SD 63699 23260


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


WITHNELL BOLTON ROAD SD 62 SW 6/223 Close House (Formerly listed 1.3.67 as Middle Farm House) - II

Farmhouse, now house. Dated 1638 on lintel of rear door but probably 2 builds; altered. Coursed sandstone rubble with quoins (painted white), roof of stone slate (front) and slate with coping and kneelers at right gable. L-shaped: 2-bay baffle-entry range with receding 2-bay left wing. Two storeys; large 2-storey gabled porch-cum-stairturret has doorway offset to right with roll-moulded surround and hoodmould, a chamfered round-headed window above, a stairlight window to the left with a hoodmould, and stone gable coping with kneelers; this stairlight and 2 windows on each floor to the left are all double-chamfered and formerly all of 2 lights but all lack mullions except that at ground floor left, which has a hoodmould, as has that next to the porch but with its right end covered by the porch (suggesting that porch is early addition). To right of porch a low gabled addition covers most of the 2nd bay, which otherwise has only all modern openings to front and rear and a lean-to at the gable wall. Left wing, facing east, has a former doorway offset right of centre altered as a window and 2 double-chamfered windows on each floor lacking all mullions but formerly of 3-lights to the left and 2 lights to the right; chimney at left gable and stone copings to both; rear re-entrant wall of this wing has a doorway with lintel lettered in relief "1638" (now covered by outer door). Rear of main range has mullioned windows of 2 and 3 lights at ground floor, one and 3 above (the smaller being firewindows). Interior: housepart has large inglenook with stone heck (pierced by triangular peephole) and stop-chamfered bressummer, and 2 longitudinal beams similarly decorated; chamber above has timber-framed corridor partition; main range has roof with exceptionally long purlins, the ends carried through the stone partition to the wing, vacant windbrace housings suggesting re-use; wing has principal-rafter roof truss with small angle struts and remains of clamstaff and daub infilling in the apex. Second bay of main range said to have been shippon.

Listing NGR: SD6369923260


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 184477

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing