HOLY TRINITY SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1072495
Date first listed:
30-Jan-1987
Statutory Address:
HOLY TRINITY SCHOOL, PRESTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOLY TRINITY SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072495 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 10:33:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
HOLY TRINITY SCHOOL, PRESTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Chorley (District Authority)
Parish:
Hoghton
National Grid Reference:
SD 61564 25912

Details

HOGHTON PRESTON ROAD SD 62 NW 2/146 Holy Trinity School - GV II

School, now house. 1838 rebuilding of school founded by Sir Charles Hoghton in 1709; enlarged 1873; altered. Coursed sandstone, slate roof. Three bays and 2 storeys with large single-storey wing on each side. Tudor style; 1st floor band, buttresses (diagonal at the corners), recessed mullioned windows with round-headed lights and hoodmoulds: in each bay one 5-light window at ground floor and two 2-light windows above; at north gable a gabled 2-storey porch with moulded arched doorway and a carved stone tablet above showing a bull and a griffon. On east side the single storey wing has a prominent side-wall chimney stack with offsets and coupled octagonal flues with moulded caps, a 2-light window to the right of this, and in the gable wall a very large 5-light mullioned window, a single-light opening in the apex; in the angle is a lean-to porch to the main range with a moulded Tudor-arched doorway, a window in the side wall, one window to the left and 2 above, like those at front. All gables have stone coping with kneelers and apex finials. (Re-located datestone in garden wall states that wing was added 1873 by Sir H de H). Included for group value with Church of the Holy Trinity on opposite side of road.

Listing NGR: SD6156425912

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
184400
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].