This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

LANE ENDS HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LANE ENDS HOUSE

List entry Number: 1072504

Location

LANE ENDS HOUSE, SMITHY LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Chorley

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Mawdesley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 184421

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MAWDESLEY SMITHY LANE SD 41 SE 12/167 Lane Ends House 17.4.67 - II*

House. Early C18, with wing of earlier C17. High stone plinth with chamfered coping, handmade brick, stone slate roof hipped at left end over front bay of earlier part. Double-depth 2-bay plan added to side of earlier part, which forms a receding left wing. Two and a half storeys, symmetrical (except for wing); 2-course 1st floor band, 3-course 2nd floor band; central door with 6 fielded panels, the topmost shouldered; 2 segmental-headed windows on each floor, all with wooden transoms and mullions making 6 lights, the lower in the centre a sliding sash, and all with leaded glazing making 54 panes; breaking the eaves, 2 inserted windows under hipped dormers; chimneys at right gable and at left junction. To the left the gable end of the wing (which appears here as a lean-to) is marked by stone quoins, has 2 segmental-headed stairlights and one similar window on each floor, all these with glazing like that in the main facade, and a small lean-to addition to the return wall. Rear: large modern 2-storey addition to 1st bay; in 2nd bay a segmental-headed 36-pane sash at ground floor and a segmental-headed cross window with sliding sash and glazing like that at front; 2 dormers in eaves. Interior (inspected only in part): rear bay of wing has a large beam with stopped 1/4-round moulding; attic is Roman Catholic chapel open to the roof, containing large kingpost roof truss, access to this part being by staircase at junction with wing; doglegged staircase, with closed string and slim turned balusters. History: associated with local old Catholic family of Finch since at least the late C17, and still in their possession; used for mass since C17. Reference: A. Hewitson ("Atticus") Our Country Churches and Chapels, (Preston, 1872), p.239. Note on windows: very rare survival of contemporary glazing.

Listing NGR: SD4878114876

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hewitson, A , Our Country Churches and Chapels, (1872)

National Grid Reference: SD 48781 14876

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072504 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 07:16:38.

End of official listing