SCHOOL IN CHURCHYARD OF CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1072547

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Jan-1987

Statutory Address: SCHOOL IN CHURCHYARD OF CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of SCHOOL IN CHURCHYARD OF CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072547 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 17:07:36.

Location

Statutory Address: SCHOOL IN CHURCHYARD OF CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Chorley (District Authority)

Parish: Croston

National Grid Reference: SD 48970 18390

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CROSTON CHURCH STREET SD 41 NE 8/68 School in churchyard of Church of St. Michael (Formerly listed 17.4.67 as School in Churchyard of GV St Michael and All Angels) II

School, rebuilt 1827. Squared sandstone, slate roofs. In 3 parts, forming canted enclosure to south side of churchyard: 3-bay 2-storey main block built over pathway to bridge with canted single-storey wing on the left, and lower 2-storey 4-bay continuation to right. In Tudor style. Symmetrical main block has passage through the centre with 2-centred archway enclosed by a square hoodmould with carved quatrefoils in the spandrels, a 3-light mullioned window each side of the arch and similar windows of 3,2, and 3 lights at 1st floor, steeply pitched roof, massive external chimney at left gable with clustered flues, and similar smaller chimney at right gable with coupled flues. Single-storey canted left wing has mullioned window with hoodmould. Two storey extension to right has 4 square windows with hoodmoulds on each floor, all with altered glazing, and in centre of 1st floor 2 datestones, one above the other, lettered in relief: IAMES HIET VICAR AND:RE CTOR 1660

and THIS SCHOOL WAS REBUILT BY SUBSCRIPTION A.D. MDCCCXXVII

Rear has archway matching that at front, and wings to the flanking bays, the 1st canted, a continuous dripcourse, and an arched doorway to each wing, etc.

Listing NGR: SD4897018390

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 184320

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing