RECTORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1072548

Date first listed: 22-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Jan-1987

Statutory Address: RECTORY, GRAPE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of RECTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072548 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 19:46:04.

Location

Statutory Address: RECTORY, GRAPE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Chorley (District Authority)

Parish: Croston

National Grid Reference: SD 49064 18408

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CROSTON GRAPE LANE SD 41 NE 8/72 Rectory (Formerly listed as 22.10.52 Rectory House and gateway) GV II

Rectory. Dated 1722 on downspouts, but part earlier; altered. Stuccoed brick, 3-span stone slate roof. Approximately rectangular plan formed by 3 parallel ranges with gables to front. Three storeys; almost symmetrical 7-bay facade in baroque style with a central bow and Dutch gables to the outer slopes of the flanking wings; central panelled door has architrave of Corinthian semi-columns and open pediment containing a shield with bishop's mitre and lettered FORTITER ET FIDELITER; 12-pane sashed window above has architrave of Corinthian pilasters with consoled sill and dentilled cornice, other windows in the bow are curved, segmental-headed and similarly sashed except at 2nd floor which has 9-pane sash in centre and painted 6-pane blind windows each side; in the angles with the wings are downspouts with ornamental rainwater heads retained by brackets lettered 1722. The gable of the left wing is narrower than the right, both have 2 segmental-headed 12-pane sashes at ground and 1st floor, the left has one similar square-headed window at 2nd floor and the right has 2 small segmental-headed 6-pane sashes. A horizontal parapet with moulded coping carried round the bow and out to the apexes of the gables disguises the gables of the facade but the line of these is marked by a surface strip. The return walls and rear have windows matching those at the front, and at the rear the gable of the west wing is higher than the others, which have hipped roofs. Ridge chimneys. Interior: 3-bay Corinthian screen to entrance hall, which has coffered ceiling; in east wing a room with similar ceiling, and full-height wainscot of fielded panelling.

Listing NGR: SD4906418408

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 184324

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing