TAN PITS FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1072562
Date first listed:
30-Jan-1987
Statutory Address:
TAN PITS FARMHOUSE, NEW ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of TAN PITS FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072562 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Jul-2019 at 18:57:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
TAN PITS FARMHOUSE, NEW ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Chorley (District Authority)
Parish:
Anderton
National Grid Reference:
SD 62158 13546

Details

ANDERTON NEW ROAD (off) SD 61 SW 14/6 Tan Pits Farmhouse - GV II

Farmhouse, now office. Dated 1722 on lintel, but probably earlier altered at that date. Coursed gritstone squared in 2 different sizes, with large quoins, slate roof. Two bays, with rear outshut to 1st bay and large single-storey rear extension, lean-to addition at right end. Two storeys: offset right of centre a board door with square jambs and rectangular lintel lettered in relief A ; to right an irregular tear-joint separates H E 1722 larger masonry from smaller, the right portion having a plinth and two 3-light windows, the upper with flush mullions; to left the re-built wall of smaller masonry has 2 rectangular altered windows. Chimneys on centre of ridge and at right gable. Left gable wall of very large blocks has an altered 3-light window on each floor towards the rear, and single-light attic window in the apex. Right gable wall has blocked former opening under lean-to. Interior: mostly altered, but contains large 1/4-round moulded lateral beams in front: and rear parts of 1st bay, and beams like wallplates incorporated in the side and rear walls of the rear room.

Listing NGR: SD6215813546

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
184257
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Sep 2003
Reference: IOE01/10971/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Riley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].