152 AND 154, SOUTH ROAD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1072570
Date first listed:
17-Apr-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Jan-1987
Statutory Address:
152 AND 154, SOUTH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of 152 AND 154, SOUTH ROAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072570 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 10:55:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
152 AND 154, SOUTH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Chorley (District Authority)
Parish:
Bretherton
National Grid Reference:
SD 47643 20412

Details

BRETHERTON SOUTH ROAD SD 42 SE 3/29 Nos.152 and 154 (Formerly listed 17.4.67 as Bretherton Free School) GV II

School, now 2 houses. Dated 1653 on lintel; altered. Roughcast brick, common brick rear, slate roof. Rectangular plan, 3 bays, altered. Two storeys; no.154 on left has single-storey gabled porch of squared sandstone, segmental-headed doorway breaking into a large rectangular datestone displaying a lengthy inscription in raised lettering:

THIS FREE SCHOOL WAS ERECTED AND BUILT AT THE PROPER COSTS AND CHARGES OF JAMES FLETCHER OF LONDON MARCANT AND AT THE REQUEST OF MISTRIS JANE FLETCHER HIS WIFE WHO WAS BORNE IN THIS TOWNE. JUNE THE FOURTEENTH ANNODONI 1653

One window on each side of porch on each floor, all C19 4-pane sashes; 2 similar but smaller windows on each floor of no.152 to right; ridge chimney at junction, gable chimney at right end. Rear of less interest. Interior: altered, but no.154 has 2 stopped 1/4-round moulded beams, and no.152 has a roughly-hewn chamfered beam, cambered in the centre.

Listing NGR: SD4764320412

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
184280
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01708/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Mike Pollitt. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].