BRINDLE LODGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1072574
Date first listed:
22-Oct-1952
Statutory Address:
BRINDLE LODGE, HOGHTON LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BRINDLE LODGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072574 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 23:38:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
BRINDLE LODGE, HOGHTON LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Chorley (District Authority)
Parish:
Brindle
National Grid Reference:
SD 60310 26651

Details

BRINDLE HOGHTON LANE (off) SD 62 NW 2/42 Brindle Lodge 22.10.52 - II*

House, now Health Authority staff college. Built c.1808 for William Heatley. Mostly sandstone ashlar, with some red brick at rear, low hipped slate roof concealed by a parapet. L-plan: double-depth front range with rear service wing. Two storeys, symmetrical, in classical style; plinth, band, modillioned cornice, plain parapet; in the centre, up 4 steps, a wide porch with unfluted Ionic columns and entablature protecting a tripartite doorway with similar columns and responds and very large elliptical fanlight with tracery; 6 tall sashed windows at ground floor and 7 above, all without glazing bars. Right return wall has 4 similar windows on each floor, the 1st at ground floor blind; set-back and slightly lower service wing in matching style has 3 windows on each floor; rear of this wing of red brick in Flemish bond has in centre a round-headed door with Tuscan architrave and fanlight, above this a round-headed stairlight, and other openings of less interest. Interior: principal feature of interest is circular entrance hall with geometrical stone staircase, elegant curvilinear iron balusters, glass domed skylight with moulded plaster frieze; doorways with classical architraves of various kinds; moulded plaster ceilings (probably later C19).

Listing NGR: SD6031026651

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
184293
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].