This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST HILDA

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST HILDA

List entry Number: 1072590

Location

CHURCH OF ST HILDA, A170

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Beadlam

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1997

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 468878

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BEADLAM SE 68 SE A170 (North side) 336/7/10002 CHURCH OF ST HILDA

II

Parish church. 1882. Designed by Charles Hodgson Fowler. Dressed stone with ashlar dressings, plain tile roofs and coped gables with finials. Quoins. Chamfered plinth and sill band. Nave and chancel under single roof with dividing coped gable. Wooden square bellcote with, pyramidal wooden spire to west gable. South porch and north-east vestry. West front has 2 lancet windows with hood moulds and single mandola shaped window above, all in chamfered surrounds. North front has 2 chamfered lancets with hood moulds to nave. Projecting lean-to vestry with Caernarvon arched doorway to west and single small lancets to north and east, and gabled ashlar chimney stack. East front has 3 graduated chamfered lancets in single pointed ashlar opening with hood mould. South front has slightly projecting lean-to porch with bracketed hood and pointed arched doorway with double chamfered surround. Nave has 3 chamfered lancets and chancel has pair of chamfered lancets plus a single lancet beyond. INTERIOR has double chamfered chancel arch. Arch braced collar roof to nave incorporating wooden bell frame to west and lower painted panelled roof to chancel. Wooden pews and pulpit. Octagonal stone font. East stained glass window by Kempe & Tower cl903-05. Marble wall relief monument to Lilian Duncombe, 1905, carved by Countess Gleichen, daughter of Count Gleichen Prince Victor of Hohenlohen-Langenburg (also a sculptor and nephew to Queen Victoria).



Listing NGR: SE6545784636

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 65457 84636

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072590 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 10:46:29.

End of official listing