This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WRITTLE BOWLING CLUB BOUNDARY WALLS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WRITTLE BOWLING CLUB BOUNDARY WALLS

List entry Number: 1072609

Location

WRITTLE BOWLING CLUB BOUNDARY WALLS, ROMANS PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Chelmsford

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Writtle

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-Sep-1997

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 468842

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL6706 WRITTLE ROMANS PLACE

926/27/10009 Writtle Bowling Club boundary walls

GV II

Walled garden. Dated 1656 on a brick at the corner of Roman's Place and the Churchyard but part could be C16, altered in C18 and C19. Red brick wall, mainly in random bond but with some English bond to the lower parts and Flemish bond to the upper parts, forming a square about 50 yards long on each side. North side to Roman's Place is approx. 3m high with dogtooth cornice, 9 brick buttresses and opening with concrete lintel and wooden door. The 5 bays nearest the Churchyard are of C16-C17 brickwork and the rest late C18 in Flemish bond. The west side to the Churchyard is of 3m sloping down to approx 1.8m with a coping of large tiles. The east side to Lodge Road is of 1.8m-3m with ramped top partially restored in C20 and 10 brick buttresses. The lower courses appear C16, the upper late C18 and are part English and part Flemish bond. The south side is approx 1.8m-2.4m high of C17 and C18 brickwork with plain coping. This was formerly a walled garden to the Vicarage. Two Roman urns were discovered on this site in 1840.



Listing NGR: TL6784706155

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 67847 06155

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072609 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 01:02:57.

End of official listing