ALLANSON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1072624
Date first listed:
21-Feb-1984
Statutory Address:
ALLANSON HALL, WESTHOUGHTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ALLANSON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072624 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 22:31:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
ALLANSON HALL, WESTHOUGHTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Chorley (District Authority)
Parish:
Adlington
National Grid Reference:
SD 59708 13372

Details

SD 51 SE ADLINGTON off HESTHOUGHTON ROAD

8/10 Allanson Hall - GV II

Farmhouse, dated 1618, later extended and altered, now 3 dwellings. Stone plinth, brick (rendered in parts), roofs of stone slates and corrugated sheet. Two chimney stacks, one external to rear wall, other at gable of rear extension. Roughly T-shaped plan, extensions having been added to front and rear of original 3-bay house, the latter of these separately roofed with corrugated sheet. Two storeys; original front (facing south) formed of coupled 2-storey projections topped by moulded stone copings with kneelers which have stone ball finials; that on left has been rendered and altered, the other is a porch with stone lintel lettered in relief A XR V G. A 1618

and contains stone benches and moulded inner doorcase. Projecting extension to right, which has stone quoins, is now flat-roofed and altered. Stone band at 1st floor of whole front; all windows altered. Rear wall has large attached chimney stack, and outshut housing staircase in re-entrant to large rear extension. Right return wall, incorporating gable of original house and sides of both extensions, has various altered windows and doors, bands (on 2 levels in the gable), and is rendered (and scored at ground floor). Interior: good staircase of C17 type, and at 1st floor of rear wing an unusually complete example of early C18 panelling with fluted Doric pilasters.

Listing NGR: SD5970813372

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
357524
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Jan 2004
Reference: IOE01/11036/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Sargeant. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].