CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1072631
Date first listed:
21-Dec-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE, CHURCH BROW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072631 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 22:12:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE, CHURCH BROW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Chorley (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 58298 17765

Details

SD 5817 NW CHORLEY CHURCH BROW



10/34 Church of St. Laurence 21.12.1966 GV II*

Church, substantially 1859-61 and 1913-14 in Perpendicular style, with late medieval tower. Stone with slate roofs. West tower, nave with north and south aisles under separate roofs of equal height, chancel and separately roofed chapel with a transept. Battlemented tower of 3 stages has diagonal west buttresses each with 3 carved boars heads at 1st stage and cusped niche at 2nd stage; between these buttresses on 1st floor dripmould with various figured bosses in the casement (3 faces, 2 animal heads, flowers), a west doorway (probably C20) and a C19 4-light west window with curvilinear tracery and a rose in the head; 3rd stage has an arched 2-light belfry louvre with hoodmould in each side, above which the north and south sides have prominent gargoyles; slightly-projecting stair turret on south side. Old sanctus bellcote. North and south aisles are buttressed and battlemented with prominent gargoyles; north aisle has large arched west window with 5 trefoil-headed lights with intersecting and Perpendicular tracery in the head, a gabled north doorway with heavily moulded multifoil arch, and in the 4th bay a prominent canted bay, battlemented with buttresses terminating in tall crocketed pinnacles; south aisle has a 4-light west window, and in the 1st bay a gabled entrance porch with moulded arch, a gable parapet pierced by quatrefoils, and a foliated apex finial. On nave wall over porch is large round sundial with the upper half lettered parallel with the circumference:

JOHANNES POLLARD ET ROBERTUS TOPPING CUSTOSIAS SACRORUM ANNO DOMINI MDCCCXXIIII

The chancel and the south chapel with its transept are in similar style, but lower. Interior: 4-bay nave arcade of octagonal columns with moulded caps and 2-centred arches linking 3 parallel vessels; nave has arch braced kingpost roof with cusped windbraces; south aisle contains relocated box pews of Standish family (c.1600, with elaborately carved twin thrones) and of Charnock family (C18, with deep canopy carried on twisted and barley-sugar posts); in chancel are various C18 and C19 wall tablets, principally of Standish family, and a glazed recess or reliquary containing old bones (reputedly relics of St. Laurence).

Listing NGR: SD5829817765

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
357549
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01751/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roy Finch. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].