ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1072652

Date first listed: 21-Feb-1984

Statutory Address: ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST MARY, MARKET STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072652 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 12:05:16.

Location

Statutory Address: ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST MARY, MARKET STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Chorley (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 58236 17513

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 51 NE CHORLEY MARKET STREET



5/56 Roman Catholic Church of St.Mary - GV II

Church, 1853-4, by Joseph A. Hansom, with north-east tower 1894 by Pugin and Pugin, apparently enlarged in early C20. Sandstone, with slate roof. Nave (now embraced by flat-roofed aisles and long pitched-roof porch at west end) with transepts and 3-sided apse. Most windows of nave and transepts are of 2 cusped lights with a quatrefoil in the head, but west window is 3 lights with elongated trefoil tracery, and north transept has a large 5-light window with unusual slim Perpendicular tracery containing elongated trefoils; apse has 3 groups of 3 small cusped lancets. Four- stage tower attached in north-east angle has angle buttresses, diagonal stair turret at north east corner which is polygonal in the upper half and topped by a large pinnacle; in east side at 2nd level is an ornate niche with traceried canopy continued as a demi-spire in the wall above; belfry has 3-light openings with Perpendicular tracery; traceried parapet, pinnacles. Interior nave has broad piers and depressed arches giving onto aisles, no transept or chancel arch, but side chapels flanking sanctuary have moulded 2-centred arches opening into transepts and sanctuary; nave has ribbed wagon roof supported by hammerbeams and struts, sanctuary roof has cusped braces and ribs.

Listing NGR: SD5823617513

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 357571

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing