Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072659.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2021 at 22:35:59.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Burnley (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:


SD 83 NE BRIERCLIFFE WITH HALIFAX ROAD (off) EXTWISTLE 1/6 Burwains (formerly listed as "Burwains (3 occupations)" 1.4.1953 - II*

Farmhouse and attached cottage, now all one dwelling. Dated 1642 internally, altered; cottage C18; all recently restored. Coursed sandstone rubble with large quoins, stone slate roof. Three-bay baffle-entry plan with projecting porch in line with ridge chimney at junction of 1st and 2nd bays. Two storeys; 2-storey gabled porch has triangular-headed doorway with roll-moulded surround and carved spandrels on the lintel, above this a deep datestone recess with hoodmould (datestone missing), at 1st floor a recessed hollow-chamfered 2-light mullion window with hoodmould, and a restored gable finial; to left, 1st bay has one 2-light flat-mullioned window on each floor, the lower with a hoodmould, and next to the porch a small mid-level stairlight (blocked); to the right, 2nd bay has a 3-light window at 1st floor, its left end covered by the porch, an inserted window to the right, and a 2-light window at ground floor; 3rd bay has an inserted doorway under a hoodmould, a 2-light stairwindow to the left (and a little stairlight above this) and at 1st floor a 3-light mullioned window with saddle bars. Rear: 1st bay has a wide chamfered doorway with hoodmould (probably an altered window), a 2-light window above, with altered mullion; 2nd bay (housepart) has a 6-light window (lacking alternate mullions) and a 2-light firewindow (lacking the mullion) and 1st floor windows of 4 and 2 lights (lacking most mullions); 3rd bay has a window of 6 lights on each floor (the lower lacking the centre mullion and the upper lacking the 2nd and 4th): all these windows have chamfered surrounds and recessed hollow chamfered mullions, and those at ground floor have hoodmoulds. Ridge chimney and 3rd bay gable chimney have moulded cornices. North gable wall has a 2-light window to the front room at ground floor and a little square window to rear room at 1st floor. Cottage attached at left (south) end, of watershot squared sandstone, has a 2-light flush mullion window on each floor, a plain doorway, and a gable chimney. Interior: housepart has moulded plaster date "1642" on wall at lower end, 2 blocked doorways to 1st bay under former firehood, and 2 doorways in corresponding position at lower end; parlour with C17 and C18 decoration; kingpost roof trusses with angle struts (now exposed); some internal doorways have raised lintels. For further details see RCHM pp.134-5, et passim.

Listing NGR: SD8871835824


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Farrer, W, Brownbill, J, The Victoria History of the County of Lancaster, (1911), 134-5


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Oct 2005
Reference: IOE01/14429/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Lomas. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].