HIGHER RED LEES FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1072676

Date first listed: 01-Apr-1953

Statutory Address: HIGHER RED LEES FARMHOUSE, RED LEES ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of HIGHER RED LEES FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072676 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 00:41:25.

Location

Statutory Address: HIGHER RED LEES FARMHOUSE, RED LEES ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Burnley (District Authority)

Parish: Cliviger

National Grid Reference: SD 87275 31293

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 53 SE CLIVIGER RED LEES ROAD

3/33 Higher Red Lees Farmhouse 1.4.1953 - II

Farmhouse. Dated 1631 internally; altered. Coursed squared sandstone, stone slate roof, stone coping with kneelers and apex finial at left gable. Two-unit plan with additional but integral through-passage at right hand end, behind main chimney stack; added lean-to porch and kitchen overlapping this end (modern addition to rear of left end not included). Two storeys; C19 doorway in C17 style inserted at junction of bays; original principal entrance at right hand end, now inside lean-to, has a triangular-headed chamfered doorway to the through-passage (a similar doorway at the rear end altered as a window); at ground floor, recessed chamfered mullion windows with hoodmoulds: 4, 5 and 4 lights (the last being a firewindow); at 1st floor, three 3-light chamfered flush mullion windows, and at the right hand end a chamfered single light. Left gable has a 3-light window on each floor towards the rear; right gable has a chamfered single light towards the rear at 1st floor; rear has the altered doorway at ground floor, and a 2-and a 3-light flush mullion window above. Two chimney stacks on the ridge. Interior: principal feature of interest is exceptionally deep firehood area with a 2-stage stud-and-plank heck wall protecting it from the original entry at the rear end of the through-passage, and very large stop-chamfered firehood bressummer; 2 similarly decorated beams, the further ends surrounded with remains of moulded plaster, and on the wall between them a moulded plaster shield lettered 1631 I.E (= John Eastwood). Reference: RCHM p.141.

Listing NGR: SD8727231264

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 184039

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Farrer, W, Brownbill, J, The Victoria History of the County of Lancaster, (1911), 141

End of official listing