PLAXTOL CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1072684
Date first listed:
03-May-1984
Statutory Address:
PLAXTOL CHURCH, CHURCH HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of PLAXTOL CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072684 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 03:17:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
PLAXTOL CHURCH, CHURCH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Tonbridge and Malling (District Authority)
Parish:
Plaxtol
National Grid Reference:
TQ 60195 53640

Details

TQ 6053; 6/20

PLAXTOL, CHURCH HILL (north side)

Plaxtol Church

II*

No dedication. Church. Built 1649, restored 1852, chancel and transepts 1894. Coursed, galletted rubble stone nave and tower on stone plinth. Two-stage tower, crenellated with sole remaining unrestored 1649 window to west. Four-bay nave with gable south porch; C19 gable-parapet and kneelers. North and south transepts with 3-light windows, south transept with semi-basement entrance. Boarded and ribbed door, dripmould over. Three-light west window. Corner buttresses round east end, that to north-east on north transeptal chapel arched allowing walkway through.

INTERIOR. Original rectangular 6-bay church visible inside. Pointed tower arch. Hammer-beam roof resting on tripled octagonal stone wall-shafts. King posts over. Wooden tie-beam truss roofs in transepts. Raised chancel with barrel-vault supported by carved brackets on imposts. Marble reredos containing 3 wooden relief of the Last Supper, probably Flemish C15. Later relief panel of the parting of the Red Sea in south transept. C17 pulpit, panelled with introduced figure reliefs. Pair of Rococo brass chandeliers, dated 1785. Monument to Thomas Dalyson, d.1741, in the form of a Baroque cartouche.

Listing NGR: TQ6019553640

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
357329
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12796/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan P. Smith. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].