Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072721 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 10:47:15.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Hyndburn (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 77170 33079


ALTHAM BURNLEY ROAD SD 73 SE 3/44 Church of St. James 17.12.1968 - II*

Church, C16, with tower 1859, chancel restored at same date. Sandstone rubble, stone slate roof. West tower, nave with aisles, chancel. Short 3-stage battlemented tower in perpendicular style has arched west doorway with figure stopped hoodmould, a 2-light window above, and belfry with 2-light openings. Three-bay nave and aisles; all windows of 3 round-headed lights with hollow spandrels, hollow chamfered reveals, and hoodmoulds, (that at east end of south aisle with remains of figured stops). Low gabled porch to 1st bay of south aisle, with part of Norman font built into side bench. Two- bay chancel in perpendicular style. Interior: nave arcade of octagonal columns with moulded caps, rounded arches; arch-braced roof with collars and longitudinal bracing to ridge (apparently ex situ, as wall posts intersect window heads);' north wall of chancel has late medieval piscina (low, with ogival head), south wall incorporates semi-circular and diaper-worked tympanum of Norman door (re-located), east window of north aisle has cinquefoil tracery, and head made of re-set medieval slab carved with a sword; head of door in south aisle similarly carved with cross and sword; octagonal font with panels carrying Instruments of the Passion given by Abbot Paslew of Whalley; C19 pews with doors and identical moulded cast iron finials to the ends; 4 C19 hatchments, and various C18 and C19 wall tablets. History: first established as vicarage of church of Whalley; until 1870 was parish church to Accrington.

Listing NGR: SD7717033079


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/07428/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Hyde. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].