CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1072728

Date first listed: 09-Mar-1984

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, ST JAMES' ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072728 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 16:47:07.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, ST JAMES' ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Hyndburn (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 74123 29097

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHURCH ST. JAMES' ROAD SD 72 NW 4/51 Church of St. James

- II*

Church; late medieval tower, nave 1804-5, chancel 1895-6. (Tower under repair following fire, 1983). Mostly coursed sandstone, with slate roof. Embattled west tower of uncoursed roughly-hewn blocks has diagonal (west) and angle (east) buttresses, dripcourses above and below the belfry, low rectangular west door with moulded jambs and lintel, and a hoodmould, a 3-light Perpendicular window with a gabled hoodmoulds, similar but smaller openings to 3 sides of belfry (clock on 4th side), and various small single-light openings. Nave of 5 bays, 2 storeys, all windows round-headed with imposts and keystones, containing later ogival-headed wooden tracery; chancel is rock-faced, buttressed, 3 bays, with arched and traceried windows. Interior: 3- sided gallery with traceried panels, carried on octagonal iron columns with panelled faces and decorated capitals; at west end a reflected pair of staircases to gallery; flat ceiling; 2 Morris windows (4 Evangelists) on south side; late-medieval octagonal font with blank shields in faces; panelled benches with varied carved tracery on the ends.

Listing NGR: SD7412329097

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 183854

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing