CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1072746

Date first listed: 22-Aug-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 07-Jun-1984

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, ST JAMES STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072746 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 17:10:02.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, ST JAMES STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Hyndburn (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 76008 28465

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for ACCRINGTON CANNON STREET 7/8 Church of St James

The item shall be amended to read ACCRINGTON ST JAMES STREET

Church of St James

------------------------------------

ACCRINGTON CANNON STREET SD 72 NE 7/8 Church of St. James 22. 8. 1966 GV II

Church, 1763 enlarged and altered at various dates in early C19. Coursed sandstone with sandstone dressings, slate roof. Nave (enlarged by rebuilding of north wall in 1804 and extension of east end in 1828), west tower of 1804. Simple rectangular plan with attached tower embraced by additions of 1818 and 1855. Short 4-stage embattled tower has rusticated quoins, a round-headed west door, a round-headed first floor window with Y-tracery, louvred belfry openings of similar design. Two-storey nave with round-arched 3-light windows with transom at impost level and Y tracery separated by the middle light. At east end of south wall (extension of 1828) is doorway with pedimented architrave dated "1763", at west end is the modern entrance. East window now has Gothic tracery, West end has 2 lettered panels:

"G. GARBETT MA INCUMBENT JOHN PRIESTLEY ) WARDEWS CHRIS. ROYSTON ) J. BRIDGE, SEXTON" and "THIS ENLARGEMENT OF ST. JAMES' CHURCH WAS MADE BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION AD 1855"

Interior: galleries on 3 sides supported by slim iron columns; unusual deep ceiling trusses give the appearance of Gothic space frames; various wall tablets, principally to members of the Peel and Hargreaves families. History: was chapel of ease to Altham Parish Church until 1870.

Listing NGR: SD7600828465

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 183804

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing