NEW HIGH RILEY FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED SHIPPON AND BARN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1072760

Date first listed: 22-Aug-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Mar-1984

Statutory Address: NEW HIGH RILEY FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED SHIPPON AND BARN, SANDY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of NEW HIGH RILEY FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED SHIPPON AND BARN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072760 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 09:34:37.

Location

Statutory Address: NEW HIGH RILEY FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED SHIPPON AND BARN, SANDY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Hyndburn (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 77775 28395

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ACCRINGTON SANDY LANE SD 72 NE 5/34 New High Riley Farmhouse and attached shippon and barn. 22.8.1966 (formerly listed as New High Riley (with tower and barn

- II

Farmstead with attached tower, 1834. Sandstone, house of watershot coursing, remainder of rubble, roof of slates and some stone slates. Roughly U-shaped plan. The only feature of interest is the west (rear) facade which is roughly symmetrical with high embattled 2-stage tower dominating the barn in the centre, which has a tall 2-centred arch with a smaller pointed arched opening above. Each gabled wing has in the apex a very large quatrefoil panel enclosing a small square window, 3 windows at ground floor and one at 1st floor, all in pointed arches. History: Built by the manufacturing Hargreaves family in 1834, probably as eye-catcher in view from Oak Hill (see Ainsworth Homesteads pp.24-27 and Mannex Directory Mid Lancs 1854 p.394).

Listing NGR: SD7777528395

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 183833

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ainsworth, R, The Old Homesteads of Accrington and District, (1928), 24-7
Mannex, , Directory of Mid Lancashire, (1854), 394

End of official listing