CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS WITH ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1072799
Date first listed:
07-Jun-1971
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS WITH ST JOHN, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS WITH ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072799 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 04:08:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS WITH ST JOHN, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Rossendale (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 83428 22339

Details

RAWTENSTALL

255/6/174 CHURCH STREET 07-JUN-1971 NEWCHURCH CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS WITH ST JOHN

II* Church. The 3rd on this site, dated 1825 over west door, with chancel added 1897 by RB Preston. Dressed sandstone. West tower, 7-bay 2-storey nave, 3-bay chancel. Embattled 3-stage tower has diagonal buttresses finished with gablets at 2nd stage, moulded arched west doorway with small niche over the apex, above this a lozenge-shaped tablet lettered GEO IV REX 1825, arched windows with hoodmoulds on west and south sides of 2nd stage, clockfaces above these, and on each side at top stage belfry louvres like the windows. At the south east corner a rectangular stair turret rises through the embracing roof of the nave to the embattled parapet which has corner pinnacles. Nave (partly embracing tower) has rusticated quoins, square windows with hoodmoulds, all of 2 arched lights with hollow chamfered mullions and surrounds, and hollow spandrels: one on each floor in the west gable wall, 7 on each floor at the sides, except ground floor of 1st bay which has arched doorway on south side, rectangular on north side. Chancel has clasping buttresses, set-back upper walls, with two arched 2-light windows to the south, 3 to the north side, and transomed 4-light east window. INTERIOR. 3-sided gallery with Gothic panelling to front, supported by stout octagonal columns with splayed caps (probably surviving from 2nd church of 1561), above the gallery slimmer octagonal columns to 6-bay arcade. Bow-string boarded aisle roofs with tie beams which are moulded and have embattled tops. Boarded barrel-vaulted nave roof has large moulded and embattled tie beams and queen posts. High moulded chancel arch. Chancel has hammerbeam roof, Gothic carved wooden panelling, canopied sedilia and bishops throne, and very elaborate canopied choir stalls said to be copied from Whalley Abbey. Parts of former box pews, some with C18 dates and inscriptions, now form dado of aisles and panelling of vestry, some of latter dated 1708 and inscribed with names of Churchwardens. Chancel arch contains ex situ Rood formerly in Church of St. John, Bacup Road, Cloughfold (q.v.). On south wall of porch in tower is carved datestone of 2nd building bearing initials of Elizabeth I, date 1561, and Royal Arms of England including French fleur-de-lys. The 1825 parts of this church are an unusual example of 'self-build' by the parishioners without an architect, the water-shot coursing of the stone being more usually associated with local farmbuildings. The special atmosphere is enhanced by rich fittings especially in the later chancel.



Listing NGR: SD8342822339

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
185753
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/16281/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Nigel Wood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].