EWOOD HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1072806

Date first listed: 23-Nov-1979

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Nov-1984

Statutory Address: EWOOD HALL, EWOOD BRIDGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of EWOOD HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072806 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 23:50:59.

Location

Statutory Address: EWOOD HALL, EWOOD BRIDGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Rossendale (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 79483 20851

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 72 SE HASLINGDEN EWOOD BRIDGE

5/92 Ewood Hall 23.11.1979 GV II*

Large farmhouse, dated 1641 over door, altered, now house. Coursed sandstone rubble, stone slate roof with external chimneys at both gables and altered ridge chimney replacing original rear wall chimney stack. Shallow U-shaped plan of 3 unequal bays, the 3rd probably originally incorporating a through passage; later extended to rear giving double depth. Three storeys: integral porch at left hand side of 3rd bay has moulded Tudor-arched surround, hoodmould linked to that over 12-light ovolo-moulded mullion and transom window to right, datestone with chamfered surround over the door lettered in relief 1641; 1st and 2nd bays have similar 12 and 16-light windows, upper CGIG floors have hollow-chamfered windows of 5, 6, 2 and 5 lights at 1st floor (all with hoodmoulds), 2, 4, 2 and 2 lights above. Left return wall has one window on each floor in front of the stack, of 2,2, and one light. At right end the chimney stack has a round-headed firelight to the front and the wall continued from the chimney has a 3-light window with hoodmould. Other openings to rear are of less interest, all vertical rectangular. Interior: housepart in middle bay has large moulded segmental-arched fireplace (interior now altered as passage); original kitchen in 3rd bay has similar but larger fireplace with chamfered surround; parlour and chamber above in lst bay have moulded Tudor-arched fireplaces. History: occupied by Charles Gregory, yeoman, member of Presbyterian classis1646, will proved 1649 with inventory totalling £349:13:07 including "too paire Loomes", "Liberarie" valued at £03:10:00, and "money in his trunke £112:19:06", debts and rents in arrears £51:14:09. Exceptional survival of the few houses of this type and period in this District.

Listing NGR: SD7948320851

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 185670

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing