LOWER COCKHAM FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED BARN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1072815

Date first listed: 30-Nov-1984

Statutory Address: LOWER COCKHAM FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED BARN, IRWELL VALE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of LOWER COCKHAM FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED BARN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072815 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 13:43:37.

Location

Statutory Address: LOWER COCKHAM FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED BARN, IRWELL VALE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Rossendale (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 79055 20634

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 72 SE 5/107

HASLINGDEN (off) IRWELL VALE ROAD Lower Cockham Farmhouse and attached barn

II

Farmhouse, dated 1717 (on lintel of former doorway in south gable wall), but probably part of earlier house; altered with barn attached at east side. House of sandstone rubble with quoins, stone slate roof (probably raised at eaves), with chimney stack at each original side wall. Single-depth 2-bay plan with single storey outshut under catslide roof to west side. Two storeys; original doorway at right hand side of south gable wall, now altered as window, has large rectangular lintel inscribed L H 1717; 6 altered or inserted windows in this wall, and another doorway into the outshut to the left; right return wall has single round-headed light at 1st floor but is otherwise concealed by attached barn. North gable wall has a 16-light double-chamfered mullion and transom window at ground floor, a 3-light chamfered mullion window above; single-storey extension covers right hand side of this wall. Interior: each ground floor bay has one very large chamfered beam; 1st floor has smaller beams above these, forming ties to roof trusses which are apparently later (but mostly concealed). Four-bay barn (with 2-bay 2-storey continuation) of watershot coursed sandstone with stone slate roof has front outshut covering dairy to rear of house, opposed segmental-headed wagon entrances with jambs composed of single massive slabs; stepped-out continuation has 3 doorways with rectangular jambs and lintels.

Listing NGR: SD7905520634

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 185685

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing