CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1072816

Date first listed: 30-Nov-1984

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, LANE SIDE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072816 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 22:23:04.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, LANE SIDE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Rossendale (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 78870 22756

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 72 SE HASLINGDEN LANE SIDE

5/109 Church of St. Peter - - II

Church, 1890, by Basil Champneys, ( uncompleted). Sandstone rubble, slate roof. Nave and chancel in one (originally intended as north aisle), with lean-to south aisle (in place of intended nave), octagonal east turret; in Decorated style. Six bays; walls battered at lower level; gabled porch to 2nd bay of north side has moulded arch flanked by buttresses; to the right a 2-light traceried window, to the left 3 similar windows, and in the easternmost bay at a slightly higher level coupled similar but slightly smaller windows: all these with hoodmoulds; larger 4-light west window and 3-light east window, also with hoodmoulds; at south-east corner an octagonal turret with belfry and battlements. Organ house at east end of present aisle, with tusking for continuation of intended chancel. Interior: 6-bay aisle arcade of octagonal columns and chamfered 2-centred arches; elegantly arch-braced Queen-strut roof with flat ceiling to the centre, except chancel end which has panelled wagon roof; on north wall a brass memorial plaque to the Reverend Weldon Champneys, M.A. of Brasenose College, Oxford, Vicar of Haslingden, Rural Dean of Whalley, Honorary Canon of Manchester Cathedral (etc) died 1892, erected by the parishioners inter alia "... as a recognition of the munificence of himself and his widow towards this church".

Listing NGR: SD7887022756

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 185687

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing