CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1072830

Date first listed: 30-Nov-1984

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, NEWCHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072830 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 16:27:57.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, NEWCHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Rossendale (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 85248 21714

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 82 SE 7/47

BACUP, Stacksteads, NEWCHURCH ROAD, Church of the Holy Trinity

GV II

Church, 1840-41, with chancel and transept 1873. Coursed dressed sandstone, low-pitched slate roof. Nave, west tower with small spire, chancel with south transept; in Norman style, except 1873 additions which are Decorated. Three-stage tower with pilasters, and gablets to the 2nd stage which carries an octagonal belfry finished with a small spire; moulded round-headed west doorway, blind arcade above, and round-headed west window containing 2 round-headed lights; clock faces in west and south gablets, tall round-headed louvres in cardinal sides of belfry. Wide 5-bay nave with pilaster strips and tall chamfered lancets. Gabled transept to south of chancel has angle buttresses finished as short pinnacles, 2-centred arched windows with tracery and hoodmoulds, doorway in angle of re-entrant, chancel has large 5-light traceried east window with a transom. Interior: simple vessel with panelled ceiling, west gallery with interlaced arcade front panelling; large rounded chancel arch with shafts and hoodmould; sides of chancel are 2-bay arcades with columns and semi-octagonal responds which have foliated capitals and 2 shaft rings each, roof has arch-braced hammerbeam truss; cylindrical pulpit of white stone with polished shafts, sculptured panels (Faith, Hope, Charity), in memory of Margaret Munn (d. 1873).

Listing NGR: SD8524821714

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 185624

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing