This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

STACKSTEADS MILL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STACKSTEADS MILL

List entry Number: 1072832

Location

STACKSTEADS MILL, NEWCHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Rossendale

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Nov-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 185626

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 82 SE, 7/49

BACUP, NEWCHURCH ROAD, Stacksteads Mill

II

Cotton spinning mill, dated 1833 on keystone of original entrance at north-west corner (now enclosed); now shoe factory. Watershot coursed sandstone blocks, stone slate roof with ridge ventilators, some skylights on south side. Rectangular plan of 11x3 windows with 3x2 extension at east end, former engine house at west end (weaving sheds beyond this, modern office block at east end, and extension at south-west corner, are not included in the item). Four and one-half storeys; tall windows of diminishing height, all with straight sills and heads and altered glazing, double loading doors in fifth bay of top floor; triple gutter brackets. At north-west corner, forward extension to gabled engine house has large round-headed wagon-entrance arch, a window above this, and re-entrant wall has clock face at first floor. INTERIOR: former entrance door at right end of ground floor is round-headed, has fanlight with radiating glazing bars, and keystone dated "1833"; stone staircase at west end; 10-bay workrooms with double rows of slim iron columns supporting wooden beams in iron shoes, but engine house of fireproof construction. History: built by the brothers Robert and John Munn.

Listing NGR: SD8552621825

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 85526 21825

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072832 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-May-2018 at 12:49:43.

End of official listing