MARKET HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1072906

Date first listed: 16-Dec-1952

Statutory Address: MARKET HOUSE, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of MARKET HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072906 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 01:59:31.

Location

Statutory Address: MARKET HOUSE, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Wyre (District Authority)

Parish: Garstang

National Grid Reference: SD 49232 45196

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GARSTANG HIGH STREET SD 44 NE 4/114 Market House, 16.12.1952 GV II Town Hall, now used as shops and club, 1755-64. Brick with sandstone dressings and hipped slate roof. 2 storeys, 3 bays, with chamfered quoins, band, and cornice. Ground floor has 3 round arches linked by impost band. The outer ones are smaller, now contain windows, and have keystones. In the middle is a wide entrance with keystone and alternately projecting voussoirs. The 1st floor windows are sashed with glazing bars and are linked by a sill band. The outer ones have stone surrounds, pulvinated friezes, and cornices. The central one has an architrave, pulvinated frieze, and pediment. A plaque within an apron commemorates the Jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1887. Above the central bay and set back behind the cornice is a timber cupola with clock. Each return wall has one bay treated in a manner similar to the outer bays of the front facade.

Listing NGR: SD4923245196

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 185508

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing