TUNLEY PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH AND SUNDAY SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1073016
Date first listed:
04-Oct-1972
Statutory Address:
TUNLEY PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH AND SUNDAY SCHOOL, MOSSY LEA ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of TUNLEY PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH AND SUNDAY SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073016 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 10:28:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
TUNLEY PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH AND SUNDAY SCHOOL, MOSSY LEA ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
West Lancashire (District Authority)
Parish:
Wrightington
National Grid Reference:
SD 53838 12411

Details

WRIGHTINGTON MOSSY LEA ROAD (off) SD 51 SW 5/107 Tunley Presbyterian Church and Sunday School 4-10-1972 II

Presbyterian church and sunday school. 1691 and 1880. Restored 1897. Coursed sandstone rubble. Church has stone slate roof. North and south walls each of 3 bays. Windows are of 4 lights with leaded glazing, stone hoods, plastered surrounds, and recessed plastered mullions. The western windows on the north and south sides are probably additions: below the southern one there is evidence for a blocked doorway. Above the west gable is an open timber bellcote. Against the west wall is a single- storey porch added in 1971. Adjoining to the east is the schoolroom, with a Welsh slate roof running at right angles to the main roof. Its south gable wall has a window with plain reveals, and a similar doorway to its left. Above the window is a stone inscribed: 'Erected in 1691. Rebuilt in AD 1880...'. Interior: the 2 roof trusses have ovolo-moulded tie-beams, and raking struts now boxed with pine. Attached to a pew end is part of an original pew dated '1691'. Mackay, W.G., A History of the Tunley Congregation and Church, c1980.

Listing NGR: SD5383812411

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
357884
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Mackay, W G, A History of the Tunley Congregation and Church, (1980)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].