UPPER GORE FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1073021
Date first listed:
03-May-1990
Statutory Address:
UPPER GORE FARMHOUSE, BELLS LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of UPPER GORE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073021 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 23:20:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
UPPER GORE FARMHOUSE, BELLS LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
West Lancashire (District Authority)
Parish:
Great Altcar
National Grid Reference:
SD 36206 03329

Details

SD 30 SE GREAT ALTCAR BELLS LANE

12/4 Upper Gore Farmhouse

II

Former farmhouse. Late C17 (probably 1676, re-used datestone) with C18 alterations, extensively renovated and altered in part, 1990. Earlier work in coursed gray rubble, the rest brick in English garden wallbond, all on a stone plinth, under Welsh slate roof. T-plan overall. The development of the house is not clear. The rear wing has 3 rooms. The 2 rooms furthest from the front range (in stone with C17 detailing) share a large central fireplace and is quoined to all corners. This is an unusual plan for a house of this status and it is likely that it abutted a timber-framed structure now replaced in brick but sharing the same stone plinth. The front range, although rebuilt, retains its 3-room, cross-passage plan, the passage now containing late C18 stairs, exceptionally wide. Front range. Irregular, 3 windows, all under segmental heads. 3-light casements to 1st, 2 and 3-light casements to ground floor. Off-centre doorway under slate pentice. Left-hand end wall rebuilt in brick; right return with 3-light casement to each floor. Rear of right-hand room with 1990 inserted windows; a rear external stack has been removed. Brick part of rear wing with porch in angle re-using C17 doorway (re-set lintel : RGK 1676). Stone section : elevation to farmyard, 1st floor with 2-3 light windows with chamfered and rebated surrounds and diamond mullions (one of them in red sandstone) the position of a small chamfered former stair light has been removed. Ground-floor with 2 replaced windows and doorway to left. End wall with similar C17 windows, of 3 lights to ground and 1st floor (under hood moulds) both deeply rebated, and a plainer 2-light mullioned window lighting attic. Rear with one 3-light mullioned window to both floors, and a single-light window with chamfered surround in addition to 1st floor.

Interior: Boxed ceiling beams. Some internal partitions removed. Roof, although considerably altered, retains C17 trusses to rear and one full cruck truss (retained from the older building) to the front range. The house and the farmbuildings (the latter much rebuilt although retaining C17 features and a 1694 datestone) enclose a good cobbled yard. I

------------------------------------ SCHEDULE

The following building shall be added:

SD 30 SE GREAT ALTCAR BELLS LANE Upper Gore 12/4 Farmhouse

II

Former farmhouse. Late C17 (probably 1676, re-used datestone) with C18 altera- tions. Earlier work in coursed gray rubble, the rest brick in English garden wallbond, all on a stone plinth, under Welsh slate roof. T-plan overall. The development of the house is not clear. The rear wing has 3 rooms. The 2 rooms furtherest from the front range (in stone with C17 detailing) share a large central fireplace and is quoined to all corners. This is an unusual plan for a house of this status and it is likely that it abutted a timber-framed structure now replaced in brick but sharing the same stone plinth. The front range, although rebuilt, retains its 3-room, cross-passage plan, the passage now containing late C18 stairs, exceptionally wide. Front range. Irregular, 3 windows, all under segmental heads. 3-light casements to 1st, 2 and 3-light casements to ground floor. Off-centre doorway under slate pentice. Left-hand end wall rebuilt in brick; right return with 3-light casement to each floor. Rear of right-hand room with large external stack with set-offs. Brick part of rear wing with porch in angle re-using C17 doorway (re-set lintel : RGK 1676). Stone section : elevation to farmyard, 1st floor with 2-3 light windows with chamfered and rebated surrounds and diamond mullions (one of them in red sandstone) with small chamfered former stair light between. Ground-floor with 2 replaced windows (one under segmental head) and doorway to left. End wall with similar C17 windows, of 3 lights to ground and 1st floor (under hood moulds) both deeply rebated, and a plainer 2-light mullioned window lighting attic. Rear with one 3-light mullioned window to both floors, and a single-light window with chamfered surround in addition to 1st floor. Wide doorway with half-glazed door set close to end wall.

Interior: much of interest probably concealed under later cladding. Boxed ceiling beams. Roof, although considerably altered, retains C17 trusses to rear and one large truss (retained from the older building) to the front range. The house and the farmbuildings (the latter much rebuilt although retaining C17 features and a 1694 datestone) enclose a good cobbled yard.

Listing NGR: SD3620603329

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
357894
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01710/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Mike Pollitt. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].