This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CARTHOUSE AND STABLE CIRCA 30 METRES SOUTH OF CUERDALE HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CARTHOUSE AND STABLE CIRCA 30 METRES SOUTH OF CUERDALE HALL

List entry Number: 1073030

Location

CARTHOUSE AND STABLE CIRCA 30 METRES SOUTH OF CUERDALE HALL, CUERDALE LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: South Ribble

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Cuerdale

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-Feb-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 357909

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 52NE CUERDALE (off) CUERDALE LANE

5/3 Carthouse and stable c. 30 metres south of Cuerdale Hall

GV II

Carthouse and stable building, probably c.1700. Stone plinth, sandstone front wall, others brick, slate roof. Long rectangular plan, with chimney stack and external steps to loft at right end. Two storeys. Front wall of coursed roughly squared red sandstone, larger quoins. Right half of ground floor is continuous opening, lintel a re-used bridging beam supported by 2 tapered hexagonal stone columns; 1st floor has 4 square pitching holes and two square loft windows. In centre of rear wall at 1st floor level is a 3-light chamfered brick mullion window now blocked. Interior includes very large bridging beams with stopped ovolo moulding, apparently in situ. (Given as "Retainers' Loft": F. Coupe Walton-le-Dale 1954)

Listing NGR: SD5764829397

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Coupe, F, Walton le Dale, (1954)

National Grid Reference: SD 57648 29397

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073030 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 04:01:28.

End of official listing