CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1073036
Date first listed:
26-Jul-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073036 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 22:17:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
South Ribble (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 54111 21591

Details

SD 52SW LEYLAND CHURCH ROAD

8/17 Church of St. Andrew 26.7.1951 - II*

Church, consisting of C14 chancel, C15 west tower, and nave of 1817. Stone, with chancel roof of stone slates, nave roof of copper sheet. Embattled tower of 4 stages, with diagonal buttresses to the west and angle buttresses to the east, moulded plinth; west door in low Perpendicular arch with hoodmould, west window with C19 tracery, above this is a small niche with moulded jambs and head, and above this again a small roundheaded opening (similar niches and openings on north and south sides, and on the south 6 vertically arranged illumination slits for staircase) clockfaces on 3 sides; belfry windows on all sides, each of 3-lights under low pointed arch; dripmould, with gargoyles on 3 sides, has on west side carvings of a woodcock and 4-petalled flowers (Seth Woodcock was Vicar of Leyland 1488-1516). Nave, dated 1817 on lintels of north and south doors to 1st bay, is of 5 bays, buttressed, with an embattled parapet, 5 tall arched windows of 3-lights with intersecting tracery and low transom at level of internal gallery. Low chancel with steeply pitched roof has a string from which rise 2 arched 3-light windows with intersecting tracery, and a similar but higher east window; and on the south side a low priest's door with moulded arch and hoodmould, continued from the string. North side of chancel enclosed by C19 vestry. Interior: high tower arch (the walls showing line of former nave roof), moulded 2-centred chancel arch; ceiled modern roof; nave galleries on both sides, supported by slim shafted iron columns, the fronts decorated with triple cusp-headed panels; in south wall of chancel are triple sedilia under semi-circular arches with moulded labels, jambs, and sill, including in the same composition to the left a piscina which has 2 floriated bowls; in north wall are a mass squint and an aumbry (lacking doors); numerous wall tablets, mostly to members of the Baldwin family (Vicars from 1748 to 1911). Former Farington chapel in south east corner of nave with memorial tablets, and C18 brass candelabra.

Listing NGR: SD5411121591

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
357923
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 May 2000
Reference: IOE01/00114/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr K. Foster. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].