This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1073058



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: South Ribble

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Penwortham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 357981

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



4/76 Church of St. Mary 11.11.1966 GV II*

Church: west tower C15, nave with low aisles by E.G. Paley 1855, chancel C14. Stone, slate roof. Battlemented tower with diagonal buttresses; west doorway with moulded arch and hoodmould; moulded dripstone band (west front only) from which rises an arched 3-light 1st floor window with perpendicular tracery and hoodmould; above this is an ogee-headed niche with crocketed pinnacles, and at top level on all sides arched and traceried 2-light belfry louvres with hoodmoulds; battlemented coping with pinnacles. Nave has on each side 5 arched 2-light windows with curvilinear tracery. Aisles, which are buttressed at the corners, have windows with varied forms of tracery; prominent gabled porch with moulded arch at 2nd bay of south aisle. Low chancel of coursed rectangular blocks has angle buttresses, arched windows with simple cusped tracery, one other window on north side which is roughly square and has cusped jambs and head; and a narrow arched priest's door in south wall (now blocked) with a datestone above it lettered in relief F I A 1653 (said to be initials of John and Anne Fleetwood). Interior: nave arcade of 4 bays, columns alternately round and octagonal with moulded capitals; depressed kingpost roof, arch-braced chancel roof. Font, dated 1667, square with chamfered corners, on square pillar. Various memorial tablets of Rawstorne family; one in south aisle, dated 1863, to John Horrocks (d.1804;q.v.); another in chancel, to Christopher Musgrave of Edenfield, Cumbria, (d.1735) of black slate with Arms in the head. Fragments of early stained glass in chancel windows.

Listing NGR: SD5240029001

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 52400 29001


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073058 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 10:36:21.

End of official listing