CHURCH OF ST LEONARD THE LESS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1073063
Date first listed:
11-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD THE LESS, POTTER LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD THE LESS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073063 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 15:07:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD THE LESS, POTTER LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
South Ribble (District Authority)
Parish:
Samlesbury
National Grid Reference:
SD 58984 30353

Details

SD 53SE SAMLESBURY POTTER LANE

1/91 Church of St. Leonard-the-Less 11.11.1966 GV I

Church, substantially 1558, but with masonry of late C12 building visible in both gables, and tower and porches of 1899. Nave and chancel in one, with aisles, tower attached at north-west corner. Two gabled and timber- framed porches on south side. Aisle and clerestory windows are all of 3 arched lights with stone mullions, deeply splayed reveals and hoodmoulds. Arched 3-light west window with intersecting tracery; east wall contains arched 3-light window with perpendicular tracery, a dripmould over it with figured stops. Battlemented tower of ashlar with diagonal buttresses, west door, 1st floor window, belfry louvres on all sides and stair turret. Interior: nave arcades of 4 bays following line of original outer walls (the west ends of which remain), composed of 3 short octagonal columns with moulded capitals and matching responds at each end, and double- chamfered 2-centred arches. Interior walls of coursed irregular masonry now with ribbon pointing (plastered until 1884). Wooden ceiling on slightly-cambered bridging beams and secondary beams, all chamfered (concealed by reed and plaster ceiling until 1884); sloping aisle roofs. Exceptionally complete set of individually constructed and decorated box pews, most with dates and plates ranging from 1678 to 1756. Other notable furnishings and fittings include: 2 levels of C18 3-decker pulpit; C17 Communion rail with turned balusters; funerary armour (sword, helm and blazoned shield) believed to be that of Thomas Southworth of Samlesbury Hall (q.v.) d. 1546; Royal Arms, Commandment, Creed and Lord's Prayer Tables all painted on canvas; alabaster slab, incised, to Sir William Atherton and his wife (d.1440 and 1480); memorial tablets of Geoffrey Hornby (d.1801) and Mrs. Fielden (d.1859); a tub font, possibly Norman; and C14 Sanctus Bell over east door. Numerous masons' marks on south arade, exterior north wall, and jambs of east window. (VCH Lancs; Pevsner; R. Eaton History of Samlesbury 1936; G. Clayton St Leonard the Less Samlesbury n.d.

Listing NGR: SD5898630362

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
357996
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Clayton, G, St Leonard the Less Samlesbury
Eaton, R, History of Samlesbury, (1936)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Lancashire, (1969)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/00117/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr K. Foster. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].