LANCASTER CANAL, WEST PORTAL OF WHITTLE HILLS TUNNEL OF FORMER LANCASTER CANAL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1073099

Date first listed: 20-Nov-1986

Statutory Address: LANCASTER CANAL, WEST PORTAL OF WHITTLE HILLS TUNNEL OF FORMER LANCASTER CANAL

Map

Ordnance survey map of LANCASTER CANAL, WEST PORTAL OF WHITTLE HILLS TUNNEL OF FORMER LANCASTER CANAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073099 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 07:13:34.

Location

Statutory Address: LANCASTER CANAL, WEST PORTAL OF WHITTLE HILLS TUNNEL OF FORMER LANCASTER CANAL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Chorley (District Authority)

Parish: Whittle-le-Woods

National Grid Reference: SD 58338 21860

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 52 SE WHITTLE-LE-WOODS WEST PORTAL OF WHITTLE HILLS TUNNEL OF FORMER LANCASTER 3/179 CANAL

II

West portal of Whittle Hills tunnel of former Lancaster canal. 1801-1803; Engineer, John Rennie. Rusticated rock-faced sandstone. Semicircular arch with rusticated voussoirs and triple keystone, a roll-moulded band immediately above this carried across battered piers to left and right; a large rectangular recess (on panel) in the centre of the retaining wall above this band (as if for an inscription, but faced with ashlar); parapet with rounded top. To each side, a curved sloped abutment of similar masonry but with square copings. History: Formed part of canal link between Leeds - Liverpool Canal at Johnsons Hillock (q.v.) and Walton Summit. Note: both portals redundant, the canal drained. Centre of tunnel collapsed and was opened out,with new portals to central section c.1838 (of less interest).

Listing NGR: SD5833821860

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 357701

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing