ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST ELIZABETH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1073116

Date first listed: 02-Dec-1986

Statutory Address: ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST ELIZABETH, HALL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST ELIZABETH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073116 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 03:37:52.

Location

Statutory Address: ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST ELIZABETH, HALL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: West Lancashire (District Authority)

Parish: Scarisbrick

National Grid Reference: SD 39170 13254

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SCARISBRICK HALL ROAD SD 31 SE 8/21 Roman Catholic Church of St. Elizabeth - - II

Roman Catholic church. 1888, by Pugin and Pugin. Rock-faced red sandstone, red tiled roof. Nave on north-south axis, with east aisle, south-east chapel, apse, north-east tower and north-west baptistery. Decorated style. North gable end, with tower to left and baptistery to right, and angle buttresses, has at the right-hand end of the gable of the nave a 2-centred arched doorway with recessed door and hoodmould with foliated stop, linked to a dripband carried over 3 cusped lancets at ground floor, above which is a carved panel with Gothic lettering "Sancta Elizabetha Ecclesia 1888"; above this, a large traceried 4-light window under a hoodmould with figured stops, a gable dripband, and a traceried gable eye. The tower has a doorway like the other but with figured stops, a window above with 2 cusped lights, above this 2 cusped lancets, then a tall belfry window of 2 louvred cinquefoil lights with a quatrefoil in the head, a Lombard frieze between the buttresses, and a pyramidal roof swept over bracketed eaves. Except for the door, the other sides of the tower match this. On the east side the buttressed 4-bay aisle has square-headed windows of 1, 3, 3 and 2 cusped lights, and the nave has gablets containing wide arched traceried windows; at the south end of the aisle is a square porch and the chapel with parallel pitched roof and windows like those in the aisle, and at the south gable of this a memorial to Eliza Margaret De Biaudos Scarisbrick, Marchioness de Casteja (d.1878), with a carved tripartite canopy and momumental slab enclosed by fleur-de-lys iron railings. The apse is 5-sided, with a window of 2 cinquefoil lights in each side, that in the centre raised into a gablet, and all under hoodmoulds with figured stops. The west side has tall 2-light windows with mouchette tracery, at the north end a 5-sided baptistery with cusped lancets, and at the south end a large gabled sacristy. Interior: gallery at north end, over wide depressed arches forming an interior porch or narthex; aisle arcade of moulded arches on octagonal columns; arch-braced roof with Y-struts to principal rafters; arch-braced santuary roof with stencilled panels; chapel divided into 2 equal bays by a moulded stone arch, the ceiling painted blue with stencilled gold stars; on west side of nave a large elaborately carved wooden pulpit on a carved pedestal and approached by stairs also elaborately carved, probably Belgian, mid- to later C17 (Pevsner).

Listing NGR: SD3917013254

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 357728

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Lancashire, (1969)

End of official listing