ALDER LANE BRIDGE (NUMBER 38) LEEDS AND LIVERPOOL CANAL ALDER LANE BRIDGE (NUMBER 38)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1073164

Date first listed: 19-Aug-1988

Statutory Address: ALDER LANE BRIDGE (NUMBER 38), ALDER LANE

Statutory Address: LEEDS AND LIVERPOOL CANAL ALDER LANE BRIDGE (NUMBER 38)

Map

Ordnance survey map of ALDER LANE BRIDGE (NUMBER 38)
LEEDS AND LIVERPOOL CANAL ALDER LANE BRIDGE (NUMBER 38)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073164 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 23:40:05.

Location

Statutory Address: ALDER LANE BRIDGE (NUMBER 38), ALDER LANE

Statutory Address: LEEDS AND LIVERPOOL CANAL ALDER LANE BRIDGE (NUMBER 38)

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: West Lancashire (District Authority)

Parish: Parbold

National Grid Reference: SD 49405 10454

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PARBOLD LEEDS AND LIVERPOOL CANAL SD 41 SE 4/71 Alder Lane Bridge (No 38) - II

Public road bridge over Leeds and Liverpool Canal. Probably early 1770s. Coursed sandstone. Single elliptical arch. Band below parapet with coping. The section of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal between Newburgh and Gathurst follows the line of Leigh's Cut, begun by the Douglas Navigation c1753. Work was in progress in 1772, and the canal between Gathurst and Liverpool was opened for traffic in 1774. Hadfield, C., and Biddle, G., The Canals of North West England, 1970, vol I, p73.

Listing NGR: SD4940510454

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 357847

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hadfield, C, Biddle, G, 'The Canals of the British Isles' in The Canals of North West England, , Vol. 1, (1970), 73

End of official listing