CHRIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1073167

Date first listed: 19-Aug-1988

Statutory Address: CHRIST CHURCH, PARBOLD HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHRIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073167 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 05:29:07.

Location

Statutory Address: CHRIST CHURCH, PARBOLD HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: West Lancashire (District Authority)

Parish: Parbold

National Grid Reference: SD 50235 10712

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PARBOLD PARBOLD HILL SD 51 SW 5/80 Christ Church - II

Church. 1875 by Myres, Veevers & Myres. Rock-faced sandstone with slate roof. Comprises a nave, south porch, north aisle, lower chancel, north vestry, and a tower with stone spire against the south side of the chancel. At the west end of the nave are 3 lancet windows with a wheel window above. The north aisle is of 4 bays separated by buttresses. The outer windows are paired lancets. The 2 inner ones have 3 lancets, the middle ones cusped. The south wall of the nave is of 3 bays separated by gabled buttresses. The outer windows are of 2 trefoiled lights under a pointed head with quatrefoil. The middle window is of 3 lights. At the left is a gabled porch. The outer doorway is moulded and pointed with angle shafts. The east window of the chancel is of 5 lights with Geometric tracery. The tower has angle buttresses, and a south window to the lower stage of 2 trefoiled lights separated by an engaged shaft under a pointed head with trefoil. The bell openings are paired lancets. The tower is broached to an octagonal spire with lucarnes. Interior: 4-bay arcade of roll-moulded pointed arches springing from paired granite columns with foliated capitals. Nave roof has arch-braced collars, and king posts treated as round columns. The chancel arch is moulded and pointed and has short granite shafts as responds, carried on corbels and with foliated caps. The chancel has pointed arches opening to north and south and has a boarded barrel roof. The pulpit is constructed from C17 decorated square panelling and incorporates the date '1648'. The font has an octagonal sandstone bowl. An early C18 font has a fluted Doric column as its stem and a round bowl with gadroon decoration. The east and west windows contain late C19 glass.

Listing NGR: SD5023510712

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 357856

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing