UPPINGHAM SCHOOL CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1073175

Date first listed: 10-Nov-1955

Statutory Address: UPPINGHAM SCHOOL CHAPEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of UPPINGHAM SCHOOL CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073175 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 12:39:45.

Location

Statutory Address: UPPINGHAM SCHOOL CHAPEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Rutland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Uppingham

National Grid Reference: SP 86504 99620

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 8699-8799 UPPINGHAM 4/8 10.11.55 Uppingham School: Chapel GV II*

Chapel. 1865 by G E Street, west galilee late C19, War Memorial Chapel c.1922 by E Newton, north wall partly removed and chapel substantially enlarged to north 1965 by Seely and Paget. Of coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings. Slate roof with coped gables and decorative ridge tiles. Gothic Revival. Five-bay nave and 2-bay chancel beneath one roof. South side divided by massive buttresses. Geometric tracery to windows, each one slightly different. North-west vaulted porch linking chapel with school room and round stair turret with traceried bell stage and conical roof. Wheel window to west. West galilee added to house marble statue of Edward Thring (headmaster) by Thomas Brock, 1892, now in north east porch of 1965, leading to north extension lit by full-length full-width window. Interior of chapel now mainly C20 in character but retaining fine roof and west gallery of 1865. War Memorial Chapel at south west corner in form of miniature "chapter house", octagonal in plan with a patterned lead pyramidal roof punctuated by 2-light traceried gabled dormers, and with richly decorated interior: walls with blind tracery listing names of World War I fallen (including E H Brittain, brother of the writer) and highly enriched cove, cornice and lantern.

Listing NGR: SP8650499620

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 186745

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 27 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/58388

End of official listing