Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073218.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 19:24:48.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Rutland (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 92458 14651



SK 91 SW CHURCH LANE (East side)


14.6.54 Church of St. Mary


Church of C13-C15 with Norman remains and S porch of 1673. Restored 1897 by J.A. Cossins of Birmingham. Coursed squared stone and ashlar, and ashlar tower, with Collyweston slate, lead and parapetted roofs. W tower, nave, aisles, chancel, N chancel vestry and S porch. Tower of C13/C14 and of 3 stages with plinth and clasping buttresses, the SW enclosing a stair with slits. N and S lancets to 2nd stage and 4 Dec bell openings. Frieze of small heads and very fine, tall spire with small broaches and 3 tiers of lucarnes. W window with restored Perp tracery and quardruple- chamfered arch to nave, 2 dying into triple shafted and chamfered responds. A buttress either side. C14 4 bay N arcade: double hollow chamfered arches with stopped ends over slender octagonal piers. S aisle of c1300: 3 bays of chamfered and hollow chamfered arches over octagonal piers. Clerestory of 3 quatrefoils to N and 3 2-light restored Perp windows to S. 4 bay low-pitch tie beam roof of 1897 with wall pieces and curved braces on stone corbels. Parapet outside. In N aisle NW window with Reticulated tracery, N window similar with C20 stained glass by Donald Brooke of Long Compton, and NE window a 3-light Perp within earlier arch. Cusped frame probably for small painting to right. Outside buttresses with set-offs and blocked N door with hollowed chamfered arch. C13 chancel with 3 lancets to S, 1 in wall set slightly on diagonal and 2 with stained glass of 1896. C19 N vestry. E window with restored Reticulated tracery. Restored 3 bay tie beam roof. In S aisle SW lancet with fragments of Norman tympanum built into wall around. C19 S window in earlier arch and S door with S porch dated 1673 possibly re-using arch. Sundial over. Cusped 1-light with stained glass by Donald Brooke, 3-light window behind organ. This section of S aisle altered in 1897. Outside, nave has frieze of,small heads and 2 C18 wall monuments are set into chancel E wall. Inside, c1200 font restored 1840, and C17 panelling forming dado in chancel. Reused. The carved panels depict the Garden of Eden, the Ark, Daniel in the Lion's Den, the Golden Calf and heads of Saints. Pulpit probably C17 on later stone base with wall monument of 1725 above. Painted hatchment with the Royal Arms of early C19 in N aisle. C18 oak altar-rail. White's Leicestershire and Rutland, 1877, and Pevsner.

Listing NGR: SK9245814651


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1960)
'Whites Directory' in Leicestershire and Rutland, (1877)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12580/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Ashley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].