CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1073449
Date first listed:
14-Mar-1975
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, SEEL STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073449 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 11:09:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, SEEL STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Liverpool (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SJ3500589889

Details

SJ 3489 SEEL STREET SJ 3589 (south side) L1

30/1110 CHURCH OF ST PETER 56/1110 Roman Catholic Church 14.3.75. G.V. II

Catholic church. 1788, the sanctuary added 1845. Stucco. 2 storeys and 6 bays. Ground floor has segmental headed windows, gallery has round-headed windows, all with leaded glazing. Projecting vestry to 1st bay. A projecting 2 storeyed porch with pediment, fluted Doric columns, frieze and cornice, and date of 1788 in metopes; window in upper storey. Interior has gallery on 3 sides, on columns with leaf capitals. Flat ceiling. Mural monument to founder who died 1814 (a draped urn). Sanctuary is more ornate, with gilded Composite pilasters, and altar with columns and pediment, modillioned cornice, segmental arched ceiling. Relief mural monuments of 1837, 1840 and 1847. Sanctuary said to project into No. 76. Oldest Roman Catholic church in Liverpool.

Listing NGR: SJ3500589889

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
359473
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Mar 2005
Reference: IOE01/13128/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Cross. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].