This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1073507



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Preston

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Grimsargh

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 185933

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SD 53 SE 8/86 GRIMSARGH (off) LONGRIDGE ROAD Grimsargh Hall


II Farmhouse, dated 1773 at 1st floor; altered. Coursed sandstone with quoins, slate roof. Double-depth 2-bay plan, with set back addition at right end. Two storeys and garret; facade of squared sandstone in diminishing watershot courses has in the centre a very wide older door, of double-layered oak planks with ornamental strap hinges and many studs, protected by a shallow porch of thick cheeks with primitive imposts now carrying a thin slab (in place of pediment), at 1st floor above the door a rectangular datestone inscribed F H H 1773, and to the right one 3-light chamfered flush-mullion window on each floor, with run-out head and sill; a similar window to the left at ground floor is an insertion imitating these. Left gable wall has an altered window at ground floor, and a round-headed 3-stage stairlight with keystone and imposts, chamfered mullions and transoms (head blocked); right gable wall has set-back lower 2-storey addition of random rubble with a flight of stone steps to a loft door, and in the angle a doorway covered by a large glazed porch. Rear: inter alia, at ground floor a 5-light window with square flush mullions, breaking a former doorway of which the lintel remains. Interior: throughout the ground floor are re-used beams, including 2 with deep chamfer (C16 type) in the addition, one 1/4-round moulded and others chamfered with run-out stops; full-height staircase with closed string, square stick balusters, moulded handrail.

Listing NGR: SD5864433554

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 58644 33554


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073507 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 02:15:33.

End of official listing