DUN COW RIB FARMHOUSE WITH WALL ENCLOSING GARDEN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1073518

Date first listed: 25-Jul-1952

Statutory Address: DUN COW RIB FARMHOUSE WITH WALL ENCLOSING GARDEN, HALFPENNY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of DUN COW RIB FARMHOUSE WITH WALL ENCLOSING GARDEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073518 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 13:19:01.

Location

Statutory Address: DUN COW RIB FARMHOUSE WITH WALL ENCLOSING GARDEN, HALFPENNY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Preston (District Authority)

Parish: Whittingham

National Grid Reference: SD 59637 37604

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 53 NE WHITTINGHAM HALFPENNY LANE

5/117 Dun Cow Rib Farmhouse with wall enclosing garden 25.7.1952 II

Farmhouse, now house. Dated 1616 on lintel, altered and extended. Coursed sandstone rubble with quoins (now ribbon pointed), stone slate roof and stone gable copings with kneelers bearing finials. Two-bay end-baffle-entry plan (with former stable added at left end, which has been altered and is of less interest). Two storeys; doorway at right hand end has chamfered Tudor-arched surround, lintel lettered in relief "1616 AH" (probably = Adam Hoghton), and hollow-moulded hoodmould on top of which is fixed a large old bone; double-chamfered mullioned windows with diamond lattice glazing on both floors, the hoodmoulds of those in the centre run out left over a single light (like a firewindow): 5 and 6 lights at ground floor, 3, 4 and 2 lights above. Chimneys at right gable and at former gable (now junction) to left. Right gable wall has at 1st floor a double-chamfered firewindow with a hoodmould, and towards the rear a jettied garderobe with loop-lights and monopitched roof, now supported from ground level by stone piers. Former stable at left end was formerly a lean-to, but has been raised to form a 2-storey continuation of the house. Rear altered, with substantial modern extensions in similar style and materials. Interior: altered, contains C18 stone fireplace with corbelled jambs, believed to be ex situ: History: probably built by Adam Hoghton: reference Fishwick Goosnargh pp 192-3. Associated with ancient local legend of ghostly giant cow, to whom the bone over the door was believed to belong. Garden wall to front, of random rubble, the front wall with ramped coping and curved inwards to gateway in line with door of house.

Listing NGR: SD5963737604

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 185964

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Fishwick, , Goosnargh, (1871), 192-3

End of official listing