Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1073535

Date first listed: 25-Jul-1952



Ordnance survey map of BUSHELLS HOSPITAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073535 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 01:05:22.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Preston (District Authority)

Parish: Goosnargh

National Grid Reference: SD 56008 36862


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



5/52 Bushell's Hospital

25.7.1952 II* GV

Large house, dated 1722 on downspouts, converted to use as hospital c.1745, enlarged c.1822 and 1841, altered in late C19. Ashlar, hipped slate roof with ridge chimneys. Nine bays, plus 2-bay receding wings at both ends, with additions to the rear of these. Three storeys, in subdued Baroque style, now symmetrical; string courses on 2 levels, rusticated quoins, panelled parapets to the centre and the wings; the main range of 9 bays (probably the original house) has a 5-bay centre breaking fowards, the parapet bearing twin pediments containing cartouches (these pediments added after 1871, replacing 6 urn finials), a large central doorway with moulded surround flanked by engaged Ionic columns with entablatures supporting an open segmental pediment containing a cartouche with coat of arms; and sashed windows with moulded architraves; between the outer pairs of windows are decorated rainwater heads and downspouts secured by brackets, the topmost of which are lettered "1722"; the flanking bays and the wings have matching windows except for added bay windows at ground floor between the centre and the wings (the right wing was added after 1871). The left return wall of 3 bays has a centre bay breaking forwards slightly, a doorway in this with eared architrave and pedimented Ionic surround, the window above this also with an eared architrave and a moulded sill and cornice; otherwise the details match those at the front. Right return wall is similar, but has a glazed porch. C19 extensions continue to the rear of both wings. Interior is of less interest. History: Dr. William Bushell (probably a descendant of Seth Bushell of Preston, a prosperous woollen draper), vicar of Heysham, died 1735, provided by his will that if his daughter (Elizabeth, 1727-45) died before the age of 21 without issue, the whole of his estate should be devoted to the founding of a hospital at Goosnargh, at or near the dwelling house of his late father, for "maintaining, supporting or providing for decayed gentlemen or gentlewomen, or persons of the better rank ... of the towns or townships of Preston, Euxton, Goosnargh, Whittingham, Fulwood and Elston, being Protestants ...". References: VCH Lancs; Fishwick Goosnargh pp. 121-8; Hewitson History of Preston (1882) pp. 542-3.

Listing NGR: SD5600836862


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 185899

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Farrer, W, Brownbill, J, The Victoria History of the County of Lancaster, (1911)
Fishwick, , Goosnargh, (1871)
Hewitson, A, History of Preston, (1882), 542-3

End of official listing