CHURCH OF ST THOMAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1073656
Date first listed:
26-Jun-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST THOMAS, BLABY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST THOMAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073656 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 22:24:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST THOMAS, BLABY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Leicestershire
District:
Oadby and Wigston (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 58646 98346

Details

WIGSTON BLABY ROAD, SOUTH WIGSTON SP59 NE (North Side)

3/18 Church of St. Thomas

GV II*

Parish Church. 1892-3 with tower of 1901, by Stockdale Harrison. Brick with wide sweeping Westmorland slate roof. West tower offset to south. Clasping buttresses are articulated by stone gablets, and turning through an angle run up to form the corners of the embattled parapet: the central articulation of this parapet is also angled. Canted stair turret projects in the north wall with a stone capping roof above a thin band of window. Windows in the upper stage are paired single lancets with applied foiled tracery and louvres. From the springing of their arches a stone band articulates this stage. Entrance in the south wall of the tower, the arch moulding dying into the clasping buttresses. Tall lead fleche caps the tower. The west wall is articulated by decorative brick bands and 5 separate lancet windows slightly stepped in height with relieving arches over, and clasped by buttresses. Below these is aismall lean-to with 3 arched lights. At the gable apex a wood bell canopy is corbelled out. Lead fleche caps the tower. Entrance in south face of tower, the arch moulding dying into the clasping buttresses. The wide spanning nave is of 7 bays, precisely articulated by buttresses between the paired lancet windows. The chancel is of 3 bays, with high lancet windows. Inside the enormous single volume of the church is striking. The walls, like the exterior, are articulated by buttresses and the windows are placed high up above a yellow brick sill band. From corbels on the buttresses the roof trusses spring: curved braces support a flat tie beam with which purlins form square panelled decoration above the ceiling. The chancel arch is clasped by buttresses and flanked by lesser arches, one of which is blind. It is a stripped down style with minimal capitals and no moulding. Square Jacobean style pulpit and chancel fittings. Chancel windows set in deeper embrasures. Reredos of 1913, simplified panels with tiny carved frieze in each bay. Stained glass of 1919 in the east window, a pictorial style. In the south wall a series of windows of 1922 in a painterly Renaissance style. On the west wall a painted triptych depicts Mary and Child with two Angels.

Listing NGR: SP5864698346

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
187565
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04380/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Andy Haigh. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].