CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1073753
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073753.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 12:30:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Rutland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Hambleton
National Grid Reference:
SK 89972 07581

Details

SK 80 NE HAMBLETON 7/112 Church of St. Andrew 14.6.54 II*

Substantial parish church, with some Norman work, but largely of the C13. West tower, and spire, nave with clerestory, aisles and chancel. Coursed rubble throughout. Tower and spire of late C13. Tower of 3 stages with lancet openings and paired plate-traceried lights to bell chamber. Parapet with gargoyles and squat recessed spire with lucarnes. South aisle of well-coursed rubble with string course and parapet. Hood moulds and corbel heads to late C13 traceried windows. South porch possible C14, gabled with niche over door and finial cross. South doorway is Norman, formerly with shafts but now only their capitals survive. Scalloped and reeded. Billet motif and chevrons to outer arch. Perpendicular clerestory with paired traceried lights and embattled parapet. Plain round arched north doorway blocked. Chancel rebuilt in 1892, with high string course, lancets and decorated style windows, and restored perpendicular east window.

Interior has western tower arch on shafts with fillet moulding, nailhead decoration and triple chamfer - late C13. Nave arcade of 4 bays, double chamfered early C13 arches on circular piers with waterleaf capitals. One pair of piers differ and are clustered shafts. C19 roof with main trusses supported by corbelled arch braces, and with traceried struts. Victorian chancel arch and chancel (1892) with sedilia wall tiles, ornateorgan and gilded roof. Reredos by Egan. 3 painted panels in S. aisle by Alfred Hemmings. Egan and Hemmings also responsible for stained glass of 1890s. In S. aisle a monument - a coped coffin with head, shoulders and feet of figure visible. Font, possibly C12. A low square with chamfered corners on solid square base.

Listing NGR: SK8997207581

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
187397
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/12007/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Ashley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].