OLD HALL RUINS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1073771
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1954
Statutory Address:
OLD HALL RUINS

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD HALL RUINS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073771 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 09:15:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
OLD HALL RUINS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Rutland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Exton
National Grid Reference:
SK 92155 11222

Details

SK 9211 - 9311 EXTON EXTON PARK

5/50 Old Hall Ruins

14.6.54

GV II

Ruins of Old Hall, built by Harrington family in late C16 - early C17 and burnt in 1811 and 1915. Ashlar faced rubble. External walls of Great Hall survive almost to full height, with 4 16-light flat splayed mullion & transom with lozenge shaped decoration above windows and fragments of the cornice above. Within, various fireplaces, and a full height archway, possibly to former staircase, in rear wall, survive. Shadow of former hammerbeam roof in the plasterwork, and a corbel.,survive: Left of the Great Hall is a further full height stump of walling, & left of this again, much of the west wall, with coped gable, large projecting stack, various mullion & transom windows with ovolo moulding. The large kitchen fireplace, and above, 2 4-centred arched fireplaces. 2 cellars also remain, one, barrel vaulted between kitchen wall & cross-passage, the other behind the rear wall of the Great Hall. After the first fire, the hall continued to be used by the carpentersof the Exton estate. Richard Norman Shaw drew up plans for its reinstatement and photographs exist showing the hall intact, with projecting 2-storey porch, shaped gables, & a parapet at eaves level. (SCHEDULED ANCIENT MONUMENT)

Listing NGR: SK9269911215

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
187334
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 26 Leicestershire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].