CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1073877
Date first listed:
10-Nov-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
29-Jun-1984
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073877.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 19:00:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Rutland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
South Luffenham
National Grid Reference:
SK 94133 01899

Details

SOUTH LUFFENHAM SK 90 SW THE STREET (East Side)

6/237 Church of St. Mary

10.11.55

GV II*

Church. C12-C14 and C19. Ashlar and coursed rubble stone and leaded and Collyweston slate roofs, with chancel stone S side stack. Stone coped gables. W tower with spire, nave, aisles, S chancel chapels, chancel and S porch. C14 tower of ashlar, of 3 stages and spire, with plinth, angle buttresses with set-offs, W window with stained glass of 1863, ogee-headed 1-light windows in 2nd stage, clockface, 2-light bell openings with transom, quatrefoil frieze to E and W, ogee to N and S, head frieze, central gargoyles, and battlements. Crocketted spire with 3 tiers of lucarnes in alternating directions and gilded weathercock. Double chamfered W arch above polygonal responds. On exterior, aisles, chancel, etc. have plinth, buttresses and diagonal buttresses with set-offs, and windows have hood moulds, some with head stops. Inside, late C12 2 bay N arcade with rounded and heavily moulded arches. Circular pier and cruciform abaci. E respond has waterleaf, W and pier has volute and head capitals. Hood mould with billet decoration. C13 S arcade of 2 bay and short bay. Pointed double chamfered arches. Perp clerestory with 3 2-light flat-topped windows each side. Restored 4 bay low-pitch tie beam roof. N aisle has N window with stained glass of c1900, N door of c1300 with ogee niche over outside and flat-topped N window with stained glass of 1889. Chancel arch c1300. Mostly Perp chancel, 2 Perp N windows with C19 stained glass, and 3 3-light Perp clerestory windows over. C19 E window with Curvilinear type tracery. Perp triple sedilia with cusped ogee heads. S chancel arcade with 1 bay and short bay of c1300, double chamfered arches over octagonal pier. Clerestory over similar to N. C19 3 bay low-pitch roof. S chapel now organ chamber. Perp SE window, and flat-topped S window. S aisle has 2 2-light windows, one with fine stained glass c1870 to Wingfield family, the other with similar stained glass c1860. S door c1300 and flat-topped SW Window. Above this a beam roof beam with curved braces. Perp octagonal font decorated with quatrefoils. S porch with double chamfered arch and 2 small niches above. Fine C14 tomb-chest with quatrefoils. Effigy of member of Culpepper family. Canopy above the head. Fragments of C15 work in much restored low wooden rood screen. Earlier C19 wall monuments and C19 long cast-iron interlaced-work heating grill in nave. Pevsner.

Listing NGR: SK9413301899

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
187077
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1960)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/16150/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Anne French. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].