CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1073973

Date first listed: 10-Nov-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, LONDON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073973 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 16:03:58.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, LONDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Rutland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Uppingham

National Grid Reference: SP 86672 99606

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 8699-8799 UPPINGHAM LONDON ROAD 4/77 (east side)

10.11.55 Church of St Peter and St Paul GV II*

Parish church. C14, enlarged and heavily restored 1861 by Henry Parsons of London. Squared stone and ashlar with Welsh slate roof to chancel and low-pitched lead roofs to nave and aisles, scarcely visible behind battlemented parapet. Tower and spire, nave and aisles, north porch of stone and south porch of wooden trellis-work, chancel and chancel chapels. Tower of 3 stages with angle buttresses, moulded string courses and 2-light bell-openings. West doorway with continuous mouldings and fleuron decoration in square surround. Spire with 3 tiers of traceried and gabled lucarnes. Nave of 4 bays (lengthened by one bay in 1861), arcade of double-chamfered arches (retaining some original painting of tendrils) carried on clusters of 4 shafts to north with polygonal abaci and to south with quatrefoil abaci. Window tracery, Decorated to north and Perpendicular to south, wholly renewed. C19 roof. Two-bay chancel entirely of 1861, Decorated in style, divided from chapels by arcade on black marble columns with naturalistic capitals. C16 pulpit. Font of 1853 designed by G E Street for All Saints, Cottesbrooke, Northants. Four small Norman demi-figures, representing Christ blessing, a saint blessing and 2 angels, discovered during work in the C19 and now placed either side of the south door and the east window of the North chapel.

Listing NGR: SP8667299606

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 186815

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing