KITCHEN WING IMMEDIATELY WEST OF BRAUNSTONE HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1074063

Date first listed: 14-Mar-1975

Statutory Address: KITCHEN WING IMMEDIATELY WEST OF BRAUNSTONE HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of KITCHEN WING IMMEDIATELY WEST OF BRAUNSTONE HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1074063 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 03:26:29.

Location

Statutory Address: KITCHEN WING IMMEDIATELY WEST OF BRAUNSTONE HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Leicester (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: SK5574803327

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KITCHEN WING IMMEDIATELY WEST OF BRAUNSTONE HALL

II

Kitchen wing of Braunstone Hall, a small country house, dated 1776 by the architect William Oldman (who later became the Lord Mayor of Leicester).

MATERIALS: Built of red brick and stone with a hipped, Swithland slate roof.

EXTERIOR: The kitchen is of two storeys and is attached to the western end of the main range by a corridor. It forms a block around the four sides of a small courtyard with three sash windows to each facing side.

INTERIOR: Internally rooms have been altered by being opened up to form classrooms, resulting in the removal of some ceilings and partitions. In addition to the alterations there has also been some loss owing to damage done to the building. No notable internal features of historic interest survive.

HISTORY: Braunstone Hall and the attached kitchen wing and associated stable block and walled garden were built in 1776 for Clement Winstanley by a local architect and builder William Oldman (who later became the Lord Mayor of Leicester). The hall was built on a rise overlooking Charnwood Forest and set in 100 acres of parkland. Clement died in 1808 and the next to become heir was his eldest son Clement, J. P. Lieutenant-Colonel of the Leicestershire Militaria from 1802-9. He was also the Chairman of the Leicester and Swanington Railway which opened in 1832. He died unmarried in 1855. After a brief spell in the ownership of his nephew James Beaumont, Braunstone Hall passed to James' sister Anna Jane Pochin. Anna relinquished the estate in 1904 in favour of her son Richard Norman who changed his name by deed poll to Winstanley. In 1925, while still in residence, Leicester Corporation compulsory purchased Richard Winstanleys' land in Braunstone for much needed housing.

SOURCES: John Nicholls, History and Antiquities of the County of Leicester (4 vols., London, 1795-1815)

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION The kitchen wing of Braunstone Hall is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * It is a C18 kitchen wing which survives well. * The architect was William Oldman, later Lord Mayor of Leicester, which adds interest. * Group value with Braunstone Hall, stable block and walled garden is also of significance.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 188588

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing