Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1074072

Date first listed: 05-Jan-1950

Statutory Address: St Margaret's Way, Leicester


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1074072 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jan-2019 at 07:24:38.


Statutory Address: St Margaret's Way, Leicester

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Leicester (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 58542 05087


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 15/01/2016

SK 5805 4/27 5304

ST MARGARET'S WAY, St Margaret's Church

(Formerly listed under CHURCH GATE (East Side))



Mainly C15. Section of possibly Anglo-Saxon wall under church. Transept responds of circa 1200. South arcade, chancel arch (rebuilt 1860) and south doorway late C13. North arcade circa 1300. Substantially Perpendicular dating from 1444 with fine large west tower with panelled battlements, pinnacles and stair-turret and tierceron vault inside; the clerestory, north and south aisles, south porch with panelled front, fan-vault inside porch and fireplace in chamber above, and chancel. C15 octagonal font. Stained glass by Thomas Willement in 1840's, and by Wailes in 1864. Hinges of north door C13. Monuments: 1520 Bishop Penny, 1444 William Barbour and Wife. Tower contains fine peal of bells. Restored by Scott in 1860's and by Street in 1881. Many good C18 and C19 slate headstones in churchyard.

Listing NGR: SK5854205087


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 188606

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing